My friend's mom approached me a while back asking if I could make a pair of flip-tops/convertible knits for L. The requirements were brown yarn and finger holes (as opposed to just fingerless mittens) under the flip-top. Let me tell you have few patterns there are out there for a good flip-top pattern. Let alone one with fingers!
After talking with her mom, we decided on a pattern called London Eye Glittens. In theory, these would meet the needs of L perfectly. In practice? Not so much. The pattern was too small for comfort. Knowing L has similar hands to myself, I knew there was no way she'd find these comfortable. I could hardly get my hands in them and I only had 1 mitten half-way done! Oh no!! This means picking a new pattern. I was disappointed this pattern didn't work because I really liked it. I still have hopes that I can modify the pattern a bit to accommodate larger hands. I might make myself a pair at that point.
Anyway, back to the story. This meant choosing a new pattern. Something stylish but not overdone. Something with fingers....fingers, fingers....nope, I didn't like any of the patterns with fingers. This meant modifying any other pattern I chose. So I decided the the Snapdragon Flip-Tops were the way to go. I'd wanted to knit these for some time now, and this was a great opportunity. I got to work straight away.
emoncake's notes on making these gloves instead of flip-tops. And instead of finishing off the fingers, I just knit to the knuckles and bound off loosely.