Thursday, December 30, 2010

Friday Favorites 12/31: Favorite Finished Objects

It's the end of the year.  Literally.  December 31st, as we all know, marks the last day of 2010.  So to celebrate the past year, as well as look forward into the new year, I'd like to share with you some of my favorite finished objects.  This wasn't easy.  I love all my knits for different reasons.  Usually I feature 3-4 of my favorite things each week, but this time I felt the need to make the list a little longer. :) Also, I'm counting November & December 2009 as well, since it's only a couple months and that's when I started.

We'll start with the oldest, and work up to the newest.



This was one of my very first knits.  Last year I knit everyone something for Christmas.  They didn't all receive their gifts on Christmas, but they received them during the holiday season. None of them knew I had taught myself how to knit, so it was a surprise when they opened their gifts and saw what was inside each package. :)   This little gem was a gift to my sister.  We had our moments as kids, but we've grown really close as we've gotten older and I love that I can call her my best friend. The "blue" sister represents me, with straight blonde hair (who loves blue) and the "pink" sister represents C, who has curly blonde hair and loves pink.


This chocolatey goodness was a gift for my swap partner, Tonia, for the Itty Bitty Easter Swap.  Chocolate is always a yummy treat, but sometimes too tempting.  With this sweet toy you get the best of both worlds.  I love the way the designer created this pattern to be so identical to the real chocolate bunnies.  I tried my best to mimic the ones bought in stores, right down to the yellow bow and blue candy eyes. I don't know what it is about this toy, but I love it so!


Okay, Susan doesn't call him Gerald, but in our house, we do.  This was the reason for buying Itty Bitty Toys to begin with.  He's knit from the wonderful Spud & Chloe Sweater in Splash and Lake.  He's such a fun toy for kids and adults.  I was so excited when Susan asked to feature his picture on Spud Says (Spud & Chloe blog), he told me he feels like a star!  He's even inspired others to knit their own blue giraffes. :)  I'm so very, very fond of this guy.


This is such a popular shawl, with 2999 projects on Ravelry, it's no surprise it falls under my favorites.  I made this shawl for my mom as a birthday present.  Part of the reason I love it so much is that I proved to myself that I could do it.  Lace isn't an easy thing, at least for a beginning lace knitter.  And after several bumps, there is this wonderful blue knit to show for it.  And even better, Mom loves it and wears it, which is all the thanks I need for making it!!




I'm lumping these two together because I gave them as a set.  My friend was expecting a little boy and I was so excited to knit for him.  But I didn't want to do traditional pastel baby colors.  So after talking to a few people, I settled on green, blue & brown.  The colors play so nicely with one another, and I think they're bold and boyish.  I'd love to make another babysack, and my friend gave me some great insight into how it fits her little boy.

This pattern is the Phenomenon pattern, modeled after Bella's mitts in the first Twilight movie.  I made a pair for my friend, which I blogged about HERE, as part of a trade. 
I also made my sister a pair for Christmas.  I'd like to make myself a pair when I get the chance.  Hopefully that's before winter is over!! I've found these gloves to be super warm, cozy, and dense.  Just what is needed to fight off that cold weather.

So as you can see, each of these finished objects holds a special place in my heart.  I'm sure there will be many in the future that I love just as much.  It was fun to look back through the past 14 months and see how much my knitting has grown and how much I've accomplished.  I highly recommend it! :)  I also have to mention that I've made some great friends on Ravelry over the past year, it's been really nice to have people to share stories and FOs and ask for help from all the wonderful ladies!

Stop by in the new year for more Friday Favorites!  Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

1 comment:

  1. The baby sack, honeycomb, and Bella mitts are my favorites of yours. The baby set stand out so boldly; the color combos fantastic! As a Twi-Mom, love how you went w/my favorite color...lol and one of my one day projects.

    ReplyDelete