Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Tiny Bit More for Charity

When I was knitting a few hats for the February Charity KAL on the Itty Bitty Forums, one of the hats that I made came out large (in my opinion).  So I decided to hold that hat back and send it in for the March Charity KAL.

The March KAL is for the Good Samaritan Hospital Antepartum Unit in San Jose, California. The antepartum unit is where moms who have lost their babies (either due to extremely early pre-term labor or stillbirths at any time up to full-term) are cared for.  The hats are used for tiny, tiny babies, and serve as mementos for the family after their child has passed.

The hospital also has a NICU where they can use hats 0-3 months in size (they take other sizes, but the coordinator for the swap said they need the 0-3 month size the most).  Because this hat is on the larger side, I thought it fitting to send to this charity.

I knit the Very Basic Baby Beanie pattern.  I chose to knit in stripes because I hadn't done so in a while.  The hat is knit with Caron Simply Soft in Limelight and Blue Mint. It's supposed to be 2" of ribbing, then stockinette stitch for the remainder of the hat.  My hat has about 2 1/2" of ribbing, I think.
The stripe pattern is 8 rows blue, 8 rows green, 6 blue, 6 green, 4 blue, 4 green, 2 blue, 2 green.  Then, the crown decreases are all in blue.  This happened to work out to almost exactly 5.25" as called for in the pattern.  The idea was to knit the ribbing on US 5 needles, then switch to US 7 for the stockinette.  Whoops, I forgot.  Until I was halfway through the hat.  So it's all knit on US 5 needles.
I think it's a cute little hat and I'm glad I can contribute to another charity.

1 comment: