Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Favorites

I'm back, as promised, for another edition of Friday Favorites! :)  And although unplanned, this week seems to have a children's theme to it! :)


Photos by Lyndsey Deeds
Yes, I know. I featured a horse pattern last week.  But there it is.  Not only does this pattern hold a special place in my heart because it involves horses, but also because it was designed by a good friend of mine, Lyndsey Deeds.  She designed this hat for the Petite Purls Winter 2010 issue.  This is her lovely daughter modeling the hat.  This picture reminds me of me when I was this age.  Long blonde hair, love of horses, yes it's all coming back to me! :) This is one of my favorite "grown-up" patterns for kids, especially girls. The colors Lyndsey chose also drew me in.  The dark and light really create neat contrast with the blue.  And who doesn't love a few tassels on their hat?!

Photo by fastracbabe
Did any of you grow up with Mr. Men and Little Miss characters?  I did.  Someone in our family had a book with Little Miss Contrary, I think it was my grandma's book.  Something about these simple creatures (from the mind of Roger Hargreaves) makes me love them.  With names like Mr. Tickle, Mr. Happy, Little Miss Chatterbox and Little Miss Sunshine, you can't go wrong.  And kids seem to like them.  Again, I did. :)  They were a creature of the '70s and '80s and they hold a bit of nostalgia for some of us. :) Mr. Bump is the best of all.  Maybe because I can relate.  I'm clumsy, I fall a lot, I run into things, I'm always catching a cold, I lack coordination.  And he looks so darn cute always wrapped up in bandages! :)   These patterns are hard to find as most of them were published in old issues of Women's Weekly.  I did recently contact someone who had the patterns and has agreed to send them to me.  I can't wait!

Imagination Book


Photos by claire_teagueuk
I apologize for the dark photos on this one.  I don't have a picture of the specific project from the book so I went on a hunt to find someone who did.  This pattern is called Imagination Book from Amy Butler's book, Little Stitches for Little Ones.  I bought this book after I had X because of this pattern. There were several other patterns I liked, and this is simple enough I could have figured out how to make one on my own, but it just appealed to me so much I had to buy it!  There is something so simple about this child's toy.  A little book of black and white pictures (which are supposed to be good for Baby's brain development) that folds up and fits in it's own little case.  It can only be described as sweet.  And really, the pictures you can choose to use is limitless.  I've yet to make this and X is now 18 months, but it's still on my list.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Did you find all the Mr. Men and Little Miss'? I love those characters too. I might need to borrow some of the patterns once you are through with them. I think those characters are making a comeback, they really should re-publish the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know exactly what I found, but patterns of some kind! :) I'm hoping Mr. Bump is included because he'd be my first knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Mr. Men and Little Miss series. What fun!

    ReplyDelete