Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Bit Tired

Today took an interesting turn of events right before lunch.  I got a call from X's daycare that he had a fever.  Anything over 100 degrees means he has to be picked up.  They tell me that they take a child's temperature any time they seem to be acting a little differently.  So when he didn't eat breakfast or finish his milk this morning, they decided to check and gradually over the day, his temp went higher. I'm not arguing that he has a fever, but I have to admit that I'm a bit tired of dealing with this issue every few weeks.

Last year when X was in daycare, I swear I got a call at least once every 2 weeks saying I had to pick up X because of a fever (or loose stools in his diaper).  And the policy states that the child can't come back to daycare until they've been fever free for 24 hours.  So that means that either J or I have to take the day off tomorrow to stay home with him.  Again, I don't doubt they've taken his temperature and it was a little high.  What bothers me is that when X teeths, he gets a rash, loose stools, and a fever.  So EVERY time he pushes a tooth, we have to come pick him up at daycare.  It's frustrating because we still have to pay daycare for the time he's NOT there, plus one of us has to take a day off from work.  (X only attends daycare 3 days a week.  This week, he'll only be able to attend at most 1.5 days, but we don't get a refund on that week even though he can't at there according to policy.)

So anyway, it's a bit frustrating.  The good that comes from all this?  I get to have an afternoon at home with my little boy. :)  He usually feels well enough to still play and move about so I get the rare opportunity of spending a weekday with him instead of being at work.

It also means that at naptime, I can get in a little knitting time! :)  Which is really where I was going with this post, but I sort of got sidetracked and felt the need to stand on my soapbox for a minute, apparently.

Mom's Haruni has had a few hiccups.  I had to frog back to a lifeline and reknit.  I did this twice.  Now all is back on track and I'm trucking along, although a bit slower since the shawl is increasing (which, obviously, happens when you continue to add increases to your knitting...lol).  I realized a few days ago that a lot of the projects on Raverly are made from sock weight yarn, which I bet gives it a nice weight.  But I really like this lace weight yarn.  And it should be perfect for Mom.  Truly, it will be like a piece of jewelry.  Not too warm to wear with other layers, but just right to wrap around your neck for those cool winter breezes.

So I'm hoping for good progress today.

By the way - I'm sitting here watching SyFy's TV mini-series Alice.  Anyone ever watched this before? So far this is a very "unique" take on the story of Alice in Wonderland.  Yep, unique is the right word...

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the things I hated about working in the daycare. I hated calling parents to say that they needed to take time off of work to come pick up their child just because they were running a fever (when I knew damn good and well that it was from teething). I'm going to hate being called to pick up my child because of this same issue. I'm not looking forward to this at all :(

    As for "Alice"...I've heard of it and it looked interesting but, as we no longer have cable, I'm not going to get to see it (again). Perhaps the husband can get it on Netflix for me. Or not.

    And sock yarn...how I love sock yarn. I have entirely too much of it in my stash but I have been been actually making socks. Truthfully, I have some shawls in my Ravelry queue that are going to be attached to sock yarn (instead of lace weight yarn which I do own...just not sure if I like it yet). We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that drives me mad. I don't mind being off to look after my son if he's genuinely ill and needing care, or infectious, but if he's just teething or has a cold, there's no reason he shouldn't be at nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I understand that it's frustrating.

    But think about it from another angle. They have to be cautious, just in case that one of the kids in their care has some infectious condition, they can't afford it to be passed onto others. that's safer for our own ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the same problem with O. But he picked up every illness going around at daycare. He was sick for 3 months almost. every time he was better he would go in and get infected with something else.

    ReplyDelete