Monday, August 2, 2010

Shhh...It's a Secret!

Well, I'd love to share some new photos with you of some newly knit items....but I can't.  After I finished the Hippo, I cast on for a new project almost right away.

Since it's a gift for someone, who may read this blog, I can't divulge any great details other than I'm using Tahki Cotton Classic and Tahki Cotton Classic Lite yarn.  First off, I do love this yarn!  It's soft and silky and just runs through your fingers.  I have noticed that if you literally knit all day with it, though, it tends to make your fingertips sore....lol (but I think in my case, that may be true of any yarn). What I especially love about this yarn is that there are so many colors to choose from! It made this project much easier by that fact alone.  One downside, though, is that it's a DK weight yarn.  Now, there's nothing wrong with DK weight yarn, except that most patterns I knit call for worsted weight.  So, with that in mind, I had to reconfigure some of the pattern to accommodate the lighter weight.  With a lot of things, the yarn weight isn't important, but in this case, gauge is very important!

Anyway, I have been dragging my feet on starting this project.  I didn't have a completely clear picture in my mind of how this project would knit up.  Most times I can just briefly look over a pattern and dive in.  This time, I had to read and reread to make sure I was getting it right.  Then, once I started, I realized my mistake in choosing DK yarn, and had to do something I rarely do when knitting, math!

But, now with the pattern modified and retyped (much easier this way), I'm on a roll.  I've been knitting this for 2 days straight and I LOVE how it's turning out!  I don't want to put it down.  And now I'm on a super-easy section of the pattern and can do other things while knitting, like watching Netflix. :)

I also got some sewing this last week.  I finished a project bag for a swap.  Love how it turned out.  Again, can't share any pictures because I don't want to spoil any surprises.  But trust me when I say I have been steadily knitting and sewing away.  :)  And soon I'll get to my favorite part - sharing the pictures! :)

1 comment:

  1. Since I've only recently "discovered" you, I'm interested to read more and look at pictures and buy many (many, many, many) skeins of yarn from you :)

    ReplyDelete