Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hungry Hungry Hippo!

After a couple weeks of steadily plugging away at this toy, she is finished!  In my head, I call her Harriet, the Hippo.  Something about alliteration when naming an animal - I can't help myself....

Anyway - this toy was made for my sister.  Specifically, made to match her bedspread and room at Mom's house.  C & Mom made a bedspread for her bed a few years back and instead of quilting it, they chose to tie it with yarn.  They had almost 2 whole balls of yarn left over.  I saw them sitting on the counter one day and thought to myself, I know the perfect project for that yarn!  (The whole time thinking of Susan B. Anderson's Hippo pattern.)  Now, remember, at this point I didn't yet know what the yarn was from, who it was for, or what it's purpose was.  It's just that any time I see yarn now, I immediately start thinking of what that yarn is destined to become....(oh no...it's starting to happen to me too!  I've heard about this on Ravelry....lol)

Anyway - C & Mom then told me it was leftover from the bedspread and C asked if I knew anything that it could be made into to match her room.  So...Hippo it was!
I have to admit, though, I was less than psyched to work with this yarn.  After having knit with it for about 5 minutes, it started to scratch my fingers.  It felt rough and scratchy.  It's 100% wool, which I was excited about, but usually the wool I use is much softer.  In the end, though, the yarn and color was perfect for this project.  It striped beautifully!  And although it's hard to tell in the pictures, it's a shimmery, shiny purple.  I used some pink dk KnitPicks yarn I had leftover from a hat.  This yarn had a destiny. :)
Harriet is a simple girl, not much for frills.  She enjoys spending time in the garden among the flowers, basking in the sun. Or relaxing on a nice cool day.  I hope C enjoys her as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! Harriet is such a cutie. I would love to see your sister's bedspread too. Your description has me curious! :)

    ReplyDelete