Saturday, October 23, 2010

Weekend Favorites

Yesterday was a pretty busy day for me.  And, well, today was spent doing a lot of what I wanted to do.  It's nice to have free time.  In quick news before I share a few favorites of the week, I thought I'd tell you about a few WIPs.

I've decided to learn to crochet, so I picked up The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller and a little pamphlet called Easy Crochet Critters.  After doing a couple practice swatches and learning the stitches, I decided to work on a project.  I started with the Elephant in the Easy Crochet Critters book.  The body, head and trunk are done.  Just the ears, tail and legs are left. :) He's turning out okay.  I'm definitely still more comfortable with knitting!

I've also been knitting one of Susan's patterns, Finger Foods.  I've got 1 pear done.  3 more fruits left. :) I've  also finished a hat for X and started another hat.  I forget how quick hats can be! :)

So moving on to my favorites.  I'll call it Weekend Favorites today since it's obviously not Friday.  Today I'm going to feature a recent obsession of mine.  Two little words, well really just one name, sum it all up.  Jared Flood.  I have fallen IN LOVE with everything he does!  Jared's work has been around for awhile but I find that I'm constantly discovering new designers and patterns and yarn that just speak to me as a crafter! :) (Brooklyn Tweed website)


I'm only focusing on a few things today, but I highly recommend you head over to Jared's website and check out all his work.  He is VERY talented!  Last week I featured his Grove and Druid mittens during Friday Favorites.  I could probably mention something every week! :)  Anyway....

This cabled, 2x2 ribbed scarf is enchanting.  The color choices Jared makes for his designs are always impeccable, as they show off the beauty of his designs.  Something about this scarf is wonderful.  This may be something I knit for myself. :) 

by Jared Flood

Photos by brooklyntweed

On his website, Jared says this blanket was inspired by a vintage family heirloom.  This blanket certainly fits that mold!  This delicate, lace pattern caught my attention immediately.  This pattern is a must.  I have plans for this pattern.  I love baby blankets and love them even more when they're unique.  This qualifies.  To read more about this blanket, check it out HERE

New American Wool from Brooklyn Tweed

Photos by brooklyntweed

No, this is not a knitting pattern.  Obviously.  This is the new yarn line that Jared has recently released.  From the moment I heard about it, I was curious.  I'm dying to try it out.  I can't do it justice by trying to explain it on my blog, so again I direct you to the website which explains the history of this beautiful yarn.  

My favorite colorway?  Faded Quilt.   
Now, I have to stop and tell you right now that for the past week or so I cannot think of anything else other than the Shale Baby Blanket knit with Shelter in Faded Quilt.  The photo above of the Shale blanket is knit in sweatshirt which is amazing too.  But this, imo, would be the ultimate! :)  So if anyone is feeling VERY generous, feel free to send me a skein or two or 6 of Shelter my way! :)  

So...yeah....I sound obsessed, right?  It's okay.  I don't frequently feel this way about a particular pattern or designer.  I may admire or love a piece of knitting or a certain pattern, but I rarely think about the pattern all day (or week) long.   But honestly, I'm not the only one who does this, right?  .....right??

And also, I think with a post such as this, I should probably mention that I was not asked to review or mention any of these items and was not compensated in any way, but rather they are personal favorites of mine and can't help but talk about them. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment