Saturday, October 2, 2010

How I Spent My Saturday

First, I have to say that fall in certainly moving in.  I watch the trees every day as they turn from green to yellows, reds and oranges.  That's one of the reasons I love this season so much.  Along with the colors, though, is also cooler weather.  I usually don't mind since I prefer dressing in layers.

Today X decided to take a late nap (even though we put him down at his usual time, he didn't fall asleep for quite a while).  But once he fell asleep, he kept on sleeping for the next 3+ hours!  I was grateful for this time because I was able to get a few things accomplished.

I've had a few white skeins of yarn laying around the house that I've had every intention of dying.  But I never seem to get around to it.  But I made a promise to myself that I'd get them dyed and up in the Etsy shop before I bought any more yarn to dye.  So no sock yarn until I get this stuff pretty and colorful!

I dyed a couple skeins with some Wilton's in Kelly Green, Royal Blue and Orange.  The orange came out too bright so I added some darker orange mixed with red (no taste) and yellow - this darkened it up just right.  I used a different method this time, handpainting it instead of dip-dying.  The yarn is currently drying in the bathroom - I can't wait to see it when it's done and reskeined! :)
I also spent a little bit of time working on something for my swap partner.   Although up until now I haven't shared anything I've made or purchased for my swap partner, I feel it's safe at this point to share what I did today.  When she receives her package she'll find out who it's from (if she doesn't already know), so this is mostly just a teaser for anyone reading. :)

Part of the swap this time was to include some kind of yummy goodness.  I've debated a lot about what to include.  I wanted something that would travel well and wouldn't go back really quickly.  I thought of all my favorite cookies, but knew I probably wouldn't have time for some of them.  I finally decided on making Classic Spritz Cookies. The deciding factor was the fact that my spritzer has a maple leaf design that I could use.  Usually I make these at Christmas time with Mom & C.  But they're good at any time, really.
The recipe is pretty simple and I didn't have to go to the grocery store.  It was also quick (as far as cookies go), which I appreciated.  I used red, yellow and orange food coloring to make these maple leaves a little more seasonally appropriate!  I know we started the Teddy Bear Picnic swap this summer but with all the changing colors I couldn't help myself.

The last bit I mixed all the different colors and got multi-colored leaves.  These are my favorite!  Some even got a few sprinkles to snazz them up a bit! :)

I made X a couple X-sized cookies so he could help test them out.  He approves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment