Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Feeling Accomplished

Although I didn't write a best-selling novel or win a Grammy or anything like that, I'm feeling pretty accomplished today.  As I'm finding to be a theme, I'm spending more than just 30 minutes on my 30 minutes for 30 days sewing challenge.  And it's mostly because I can't wait to see something finished.  I have the time available, it's a good way to use it.  I'm sure that when other projects come up, I might feel more or less inclined to stick to a 30-minute schedule.  Not today.

I finished one portion of my needle case.  And I jumped a big hurdle for me...I learned how to install a zipper!  I even created a lined pocket w/ a zipper.  Now, I don't know about most of you, but I had no idea how I was going to do this.  Most of the tutorials and YouTube videos I watched didn't deal with lining what you're sewing, which was of no help to me.  But I finally did find one that helped me in just the right way at Skip To My Lou.
Now, remember when looking at these photos that this is not a complete case.  You may be wondering...well where do the needles go?  I'm not going to share that part just yet.  Maybe in the next couple of days or so. 

What you see is the front of the case, (and in one picture, the back as well)
the zipper & notions pocket on the left
and the 4 smaller, open pockets on the right for interchangeable cables and circular needles.
I'm pretty proud of the zipper, if you can't tell from the number of pictures of this pocket.  I love that it's lined, I love that it zips and it's not a buttoned or snapped flap holding things in.  Now, I don't even need to have my yarn needles in their own little case to make sure they don't get lost. :)  Fantastic!
Here you can see that this pocket fits a number of things.  I've got a ruler, scissors, needle gauge, cable needles, yarn needles, stitch markers, a pencil, a notepad, even a pom-pom maker packed away nicely.  And that's the point of this case.  To hold anything I want it to.
After I lined all the pockets, sewed the pieces together and turned it right side out, I stitched the turning hole shut and then did a topstitch around the perimeter of the case.  And then I stitched down the middle of the case so that it would more easily fold in half.
Right now the fabrics look a little helter skelter next to one another, but when all is said and done, it will make more sense.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love it! Maybe I should join the 30 day challenge group :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete