Monday, June 14, 2010

30 Day Sewing Challenge

I debated for a long while about whether or not I was going to participate in this 30 Day Sewing ChallengeJanelle, from Pretty Little Knit Stitches decided that to increase her skill in sewing, she would dedicate herself to sewing for 30 minutes a day for 30 days.  She thought that perhaps by doing this, she would become more comfortable, skilled and confidant in her sewing.  As word spread, several people started thinking they would try it too.  A group was created on Ravelry (found HERE), and now, this is where you find me!

The idea (at least on Ravelry) has morphed a little bit from the original format.  Since the group on Ravelry is open to anyone and everyone, not all people interested in sewing can commit to 30 minutes for 30 days.  Or, like me, were unable to jump in when the whole thing got started about a week ago.  A lot of people have joined in hoping they will be able to complete a few WIPs (work in process), even if they don't participate for 30 days.  That's sort of why I decided to start. 

I've mentioned in several posts now how I want to sew myself a needle case to be all-encompassing.  I want one for my KnitPicks, for my DPNS, for circs or interchangeables.  I want it to hold my notions and be wrapped up in a pretty little case.  Enter Sewing Project Number 1, stage right.  I even posted a little while ago as to how I'd started cutting, but after comparing my fabrics I found the green to be...well...let's just say he didn't play nice with the rest of them.  And before any name-calling could start, I sent him to live with the other fabrics I'm saving for a later date.

So now, as I start this 30 Days of Sewing, I hope to complete my needle case in a reasonable amount of time.  Yesterday I spent 30 minutes, today I spent an hour...I just couldn't put it down after 30 minutes. :)  Hopefully, about once a week I'll post about what I'm working on.  I've got lots of ideas.  And it will be nice to be working on a hobby other than knitting (which can sort of consume my time). 

After my needle case, there may potentially be curtains, or a quilt.  We'll see.  Wish me luck!  I hope I can stick to my guns and set aside 30 minutes for 30 days.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment