Tuesday, December 22, 2009

She's Beautiful!

I'm finally getting around to posting about the completed Sisters toy.  I finished the girls a couple days ago, but haven't had the time to sit down and post pictures, etc. 

I enjoyed seeing this toy come together.  Most projects, you have a pretty good idea of what the end product will or should look like.  Especially in a pattern or project that is just repeats.  After a few rows, you know what it will look like - just a bigger version of what's on your needles. 

I knew what Sisters SHOULD look like, but didn't know how the girls would actually turn out.  I was using different colors, and modifying the pattern so the sisters would more closely resemble my sister and me.  As piece by piece was added, the toy came to life.  There were several small pieces to knit and deal with, and usually I'm not a patient person, but since I was so excited about this project, it didn't bother me too much. 

Team Blue - Me

Team Pink - My Sister

I am so pleased by how all of my choices turned out.  I am especially happy with Team Pink's hair.  My husband thinks they look like dreds, but I think it's a great representation of curly hair without being bulky.  I think I could probably say this is my absolute favorite part of the toy.   The hats of the sisters would probably be my second favorite part.

See her BEAUTIFUL hair and cute pom-pom hat!

And I love the way the crocheted flower turned out on the top of this hat!

And once the toy was complete, I couldn't stop turning it one way and then the next.  I understand now why both children AND adults can appreciate this toy!  It's addicting - as funny as that sounds.  I will most definately be making another one of these reversible toys for my son - possibly the Lion/Elephant reversible.  I really like that one.  My son's not old enough yet to turn it on his own, but he can still appreciate the toy and as he gets older, he'll know what to do - especially if he sees Mommy and Daddy playing with it! 

The two sisters were joined at the neck on the inside to prevent them from coming apart from being pulled and pushed back and forth, and then the skirts were crocheted together using a slip stitch.  This toy challenged my skills as I had never crocheted before, but I found it to be a pleasant experience.  The slip stitch joins the sisters perfectly at the bottom - giving them a very sturdy base on which to stand - as well as providing a good structure for turning the sisters back and forth. 

Mid-turn (the white in the middle is the crocheted slip stitch holding the girls together)
Another view of reversing

Anyway - I had fun creating these girls, and I hope that my sister enjoys the toy.  It's a fun and whimsical way to share our sisterhood with her.  She's a great woman to have for a sister and I consider her one of my best friends.  I'm glad I could find a way to show her that.
(I also have to add that I'm super excited for her to open her gift this year because I had custom totes made for her by a friend of mine.  She's very environmentally conscious and I thought she'd like some stylish totes.  Check out the designer's website here.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment