Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Last night I finished the heads for the Sisters toy.  Team Pink has her head attached while Team Blue is awaiting attachment! :)  I may go back and stitch Team Pink's head down a little sturdier, I imagine it will get a lot of use and seeing as how we'll have so many family members around for Christmas, a lot of people wanting to play with the toy and try it out themselves. 

Once I got back into this project, I've really enjoyed it.  Although, honestly, I've enjoyed everything I've made so far.  Each thing brings a new element or design to knitting that I didn't know before.  I'm learning a lot, which is great.  I never like to feel as though I know everything about a craft - there is always room to expand and grow and learn and change.  Once these little girls are done, I have a feeling they will be my favorite to date.  There are a lot of little pieces that have to be fit together to complete the toy, but it's worth it.  And since I don't have a lot of projects with a lot of little pieces, I'm okay with that. 

Hopefully, I'll have a chance today to get the rest of the small pieces finished.  I don't know if I'll get them all sewn together tonight, but my hope is that by tomorrow night, it will be complete.  Then I can cast on for the scarf I'm making Mom.

To be completely honest, I'm scared of the scarf.  I didn't choose a simple beginners pattern because I know that Mom likes creative and unique things.  So a standard garter stitch scarf just would do.  So what do I do?  I walk blindly into the world of lace knitting.  :\  I'm not sure how successful I will be at this scarf.  And if it proves to be too much to get done before Christmas, then I'll work at it until I get it right, and she'll just get the gift after Christmas and I'll find her something else in the meantime.  But I'd REALLY like to have it for her on Christmas Eve.  Since no one in my family except my husband knows that I've taken up knitting, I was hoping that Christmas would be a fun surprise for everyone to find out.  I wanted something little for everyone (at least in my immediate family).

So here I am, almost dreading casting on for this scarf.  Dread is the most accurate word.  I know that once I get started and can work with the pattern, see it coming together for myself, that I'll know what I've gotten myself into - whether or not it's do-able.  But while I've been working on other things and just postulating as to whether or not I'll be successful, I doubt myself more and more each time.  So I'll be glad when I can just dig in and start knitting!

And then, after Christmas, I'll be able to take things more slowly, relax and enjoy the learning process.  And maybe then I can borrow Mom's sewing machine to get a few project bags made, as well as a cloth needle organizer.  I'm itching to get these things started, but just don't have the time to focus on driving over to her house and sewing. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment