Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Everything's So Tiny!

I know, I know. I promised more posts. Usually I split my finished knits into separate posts, but these things are small and I felt the need to get some words up on the site!

First, a pumpkin hat.  Little Pumpkin by Susan B. Anderson. I’ve mad this at least 3-4 times now.  Always cute, always well received.  Lovebug is coming in November so it’s fitting she have a pumpkin on her head for the fall weather.  And Squishy’s hat still fits so they’ll match!
I cast on one pattern repeat less than called for to ensure this won’t be too big for a newborn.  It better work out cause I’ve got big plans for this hat and my baby girl!  Knit with Knit Picks Shine Worsted in Marmalade, Laurel and Berroco Vintage in Chocolate.  
Next, another pair of baby socks – Super Quick Baby Socks.  Knit with Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Nymp, they’re soft and sweet.  But a bit too large for a newborn.

[Enter Baby Mitten Socks, Stage Left]
This pattern by Barbara Prime is designed with newborn feet in mind.  Want an idea of how small they are? Poker chips are the perfect size for blocking the heels and toes.  And here’s a comparison of how small little toes can really be!
With a ribbed cuff and foot, these should fit most any newborn with ease…AND stay on.  The yarn is Ella Rae Lace Merino, the same yarn used for my Traveling Woman.  The color easily accommodates both boys and girls, although these were certainly knit with Lovebug in mind.  They will be packed in the hospital bag, ready to keep her warm.
See?? Tiny little feet! 

Knit on 2.25mm (US 1) dpns, these were tiny and fast.  I’m talking lightening quick.  Although I didn’t modify the pattern, I did rewrite a portion to make knitting with one color easier since the pattern is written for two contrasting yarns.  I’m new to socks of any kind so I stuck with one yarn, one color.  The stitch counts remain the same, just reorganized.  Next time, though, I would decrease the toe for at least one or two more rounds as they seemed to end a little abruptly and with a blocky look.

My baby sock fetish is almost at an end. I have one more pattern I want to try and I’ve promised Squishy a pair of socks, but rest assured there is more in my future than just warm, well-dressed feet!

1 comment:

  1. My gosh, she's grown so much now! Love her little foot and her look on her face checkin' out her piggies.
    She's going to sport such cute knitwear when she's born.

    ReplyDelete