Monday, February 28, 2011

Rush Order

Last week I got a call from my uncle telling me that his wife was turning 40 on Friday.  He was planning to celebrate this by throwing her a surprise party on Sunday.  I wasn't sure if we'd be able to make it, but as it turns out, J had some plans for Sunday to see some friends, and we'd be in the area anyway so it worked out really well.

I'm really glad we have the time this weekend to visit and be a part of the party.  We don't get to see her very often.  A lot of the time she's is working when the family gets together, so it's neat this can happen especially for her.

Having made the decision on Thursday night that we'd be able to attend, I set to work whipping up a quick birthday gift.  S is definitely a knit-worthy relative.  She's really laid-back and fun to be around and a hand knit seemed to be just what was in order.  And since I wasn't sure what everyone was doing as far as gifts or cards, I felt something small, but fun would be perfect.

I first considered fingerless mitts.  I love them so much and it seemed like something she might wear, but in the end I wasn't completely sure.  I wasn't up for making mittens or gloves.  A scarf or shawlette would be pretty, but I wouldn't have the time.  So I settled on a hat.

I went to my trusty favorites on Ravelry and started working my way through all the pages of hats I've faved over the last year and a half.  There were a lot.  I settled on Knotted Cap.  I wanted a hat that was more than just stockinette stitch - I wanted it to have some visual interest to it.  Cables seemed like a better option than ribbing.  But I also didn't want cables that were so complicated I would never get the hat done in time.
This is the first time I've knit this particular cable pattern.  If you were to knit this hat and not block it, the cables against the purl stitches almost act as huge ribs.  How cool is that?  I blocked this hat though.  I wasn't happy with how the purl stitches were puckering in funny places and didn't lay nicely.   Blocking solved that problem, although the hat is a bit loose now.  Perfect for spring, I guess!  This is knit in Knit Picks Andean Silk in Sangria. It's very soft and creates a lovely sheen or shimmer when in the light.

The top/crown of the hat is really neat.  It wasn't until it was finished and adorning the head of Manny (the mannequin) that I noticed the image I saw in the decreases.  You may have to squint a little to see what I'm talking about, but the combination of the decreasing and the pattern of the end of the cables creates something similar to a heart.  So to me it looks like there are 6 hearts all pointed in at the top of the hat.  Kind of like a secret message! :)

I was surprised that there were only a few projects of this hat on Raverly.  Perhaps 8 (9 now, with mine) total?  I think more people should knit this.  It's quick and it looks more difficult than it actually is.  I love that.  I knit this in 2 days, although I worked on it until very late on the second night and worked at it constantly for those couple days.  But hats in general tend to be fast.

I hope she gets a lot of use out of this hat!
(She loved her hat!  By accident, her hat was shrunk in the wash and she was looking for something to replace it - she thought this was perfect!  And, it was even in a color she loves!! :) I love it when things work out like that.)

1 comment: