Friday, February 26, 2010

Ravelympics 2010 "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

Ravelry does this cool thing that during the Olympics, they have their own "Ravelympics" in which knitters and crocheters can enter their WIPs or projects in different events and then subsequently "medal" in their event.  It's a lot of fun and really promotes getting some cool projects completed. 

Up until now, I've had other obligations that haven't allowed me to fully focus my attention on Ravelympics.  I picked out a project.  One that would not only challenge me but that I thought I had a chance of completing during the alloted period of time.  Now that I have more free time on my hands, I'm hoping to complete my project by Sunday night, at the end of the Olympics!

I chose the pattern Owl Baby Vest.  A seemingly simple pattern.  I've never knit actual clothing before and I thought this would be a good opportunity to try.  Knitting for a baby/toddler seems much easier than attempting to knit myself a sweater.  I'm using Spud & Chloe sweater yarn in colors Lake & Moonlight to complete this vest.  Last night I JUST started the owl design, which makes the project feel much more do-able.  Up until now it's been rows of stockinette stitch.  And although it's not a big project like an adult-sized sweater or a shawl, the work seemed to be going very s-l-o-w-l-y.  I'm anxious to see how my owls turn out.  This is my first time using a cable needle and knitting this type of design into a project.  I think it's going to turn out well and I'm starting to see the birds take shape, even though I've only done 3 rows. 

I'm somewhat leery as to how the rest of the vest will go once I've finished the owls and reached the arm holes.  The front and back are split up and worked separately and then joined back together at the top.  I need to have a can-do attitude.  Just call me "the little engine that could."

During X's naptime and after he goes to bed will probably yield the best work environment.  So if I'm quick, this shouldn't be a problem!  Mostly, I'm excited to see the end product, get it washed & blocked, and slip it on Xander to see what he looks like. :)  If this project goes well, then I've just found another window into the world of knitting that felt closed to me before!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it, I have faith in you! Can't wait to see pictures. I love owls.

    ReplyDelete