Monday, February 1, 2010

Another one bites the dust!

That's really not an appropriate title for this post, but I was thinking how I finished another Paper Bag hat, this time in blue (appropriately titled Blue Paper Bag) and this song got stuck in my head.  I immediately thought "Another one bites the dust" and then my next thought was "and another one gone and another one gone, another one bites the dust!"  And now that song will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Boo.

But on the plus side, this hat did not bite the dust, rather it's just finally finished.  :)  This hat is for a little boy so I wanted to make it more masculine.  I also wanted to try my hand at different stitch patterns.  So to accomplish those things this is what I did:

Instead of using only garter stitch, stockinette stitch and seed stitch, I used 3-4 new stitch patterns.  I really enjoy the look of the horizontal dash pattern.  I may knit up a hat using only this pattern and see how it turns out.  We'll see. :) My only thought here next time is that if I'm going to incoorporate color changes into the hat, I won't knit the dash at the color change b/c it creates messy lines.  I like the look on this hat, but just a note to myself!
 Horizontal dash (white); checkered (blue)

I also used a chevron type pattern (I'll have to look up stitch pattern names later), double moss seed stitch (?) and a checkered stitch.  Some of the patterns are more easily visible than others, and perhaps if I blocked the hat they would look better, but I kinda like the way it looks now.  I did use seed stitch for the last 2 inches at the top.  I really liked the texture it gave the top on the Pink Paper Bag hat so I decided to stick with it here. 
 Chevron (blue)

Instead of a picot trim on the bottom of the hat, I crocheted a single crochet edge.  Simple and gave the effect I was looking for.
 Single crocheted bottom edge

I still used a picot trim for the top of the hat, though.  I considered frogging it back and putting just a single crochet trim on it, but then I decided it was okay.
 Crocheted picot top edge

Finally, instead of tying the I-cord in a bow, I laced it through the eyelets and double knotted the I-cord.  I then put knots on the resulting strings just to add a little more visual interest.  This decision nicely balances the picot trim (I think) and makes it a little more "boy." 
 Knotted Icord

Overall, there are a lot of things going on in this hat.  Several different patterns, different trims, an I-cord.  As I was knitting and looking at the hat, I wasn't sure I'd be pleased with the end result.  I contemplated starting over several times.  But then when I got the I-cord, cinched the top shut and sat back to observe my work, I was happy with my choices. 

Finished product


Post a Comment