Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Making Up

Not the kind that happens after you've had a fight with someone.  I'm talking about making up or finishing up a piece of knitting or sewing.  I'm not completely sure how I feel about it.  I think it may be a love/hate relationship. 

On the one hand, I love seeing how a project comes together when all the pieces are added.  The project evolves into something - not just strange shape or large circular (or flat) band of something.  The project takes on a life of it's own.  And it's not a huge chore to put the project together as long as you add pieces as you finish them, not all at the end.

But on the other hand, making up is a sometimes tedious and time-consuming chore.  Even when I add each piece as it is finished, or do as much as possible at once.  But sometimes it's inevitable that everything has to wait until the end.  Such is the case with a hat.  Or at least the hat I'm working on now.  I'm in the process of making up the Painted Turtle hat.  I crocheted the turtles first.  I thought it would be fun to try my hand at crocheting to see how well I could manage.  Then, if I couldn't get the hang of it, I could keep practicing until I got it right, and then the hard part would be over.  The turtles were quick fun projects.  The embroidering of the shell was interesting because it gave each turtle a unique look.  But now I've finished the base of the hat (a very easy quick knit, by the way).  I've attached 2 turtles, 4 to go.  They look great on the hat, but...I get a little bored, I guess.  Since the actual knitting and crocheting is done, I feel somewhat exhausted (mentally) and just want to see the end result.  This is partly due to my impatient personality.  Instant gratification sometimes wins out over patience.  And it wouldn't have mattered if I'd made the turtles first or last - I want them already on the hat.  But I digress.

I will admit, after each turtle is attached, the hat changes.  It makes me excited to see what each step will do for the overall look and feel of the hat. 

Such is the internal struggle for every project that isn't immediately finished when the "knitting" is complete.  I'm sure I'm not the only knitter to experience this angst.  It won't stop me from doing bigger projects with more pieces or anything like that.  Just something that frustrated me last night.

I can't wait to get home tonight and finish up the hat.  I'm very happy with my color choices.  I think it's sweet, and hopefully the recipient will appreciate it.  Another plus - my son seems to think it would make a great toy.  When I was crocheting the turtles, he kept trying to take them from me.  I finally gave him a completed turtle to play with and chew on, and I made another for the hat.  So now we know the hat is not only functional (warm, pretty hat) but also versitile.  When I sewed the turtles on last night, X wanted to take the hat and play with them.  Instant toy! haha

I also have a KnitPicks order in the mail.  The yarn for the hat/toy swap is in this package.  I'm anxious to see the colors.  I hope they work well.  The package also has the last skein of yarn I need to make my hubby's hat.  He's been so patient, but I think he's getting anxious to have his hat as he walks around in this cold weather!   Then, all I need is the fabric for the project bag, my swap surprises to arrive in the mail, and I'll be set! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment