Monday, December 5, 2011

Advent Swap 2011

Yep, that's right, I'm joining in another swap.  Some might think that's crazy after just having a baby, but I couldn't resist.  (And can you believe that Lovebug is now 1 month old?!  I am having a hard time coming to terms with that!!)

So the point of this swap was so send a package to your partner to arrive at the beginning of December.  Packages are to be numbered and one package opened at a time, one for each day leading up to Christmas Day, with one big package for Christmas Day.  So I figure I'll combine posts and I will share what I sent my swap partner and what my partner sent me. (No, it's not the same person.)

The package I put together went to Nina (Maegwin on Ravelry).  For Day 1, I sent her a handmade Advent Calendar.  I'm pretty proud of this one.  I put a lot of time into replicating the Advent Calendar that my grandmother made for our family.  I chose to put a different backing on it and to do the pockets differently, but I think it turned out beautifully! :)
The tree & ornaments are felt pieces.  The ornaments are put on the tree one day at a time (24 ornaments) leading up to Christmas.  The pieces are held on by velcro.  Grandma's version had sew-on snaps but I knew sewing on 24 pairs of snaps would drive me crazy.
Most of the details on the ornaments are made with fabric paint - wonderful stuff!!

With a holiday fabric creating the back of the calendar and the pockets to hold the ornaments, I can't wait to finish my own. :)
And what did I receive on Day 1?  Well, my package came all the way from Australia.  Mandie (MisMoo on Ravelry) has done a spectacular job identifying things we'd all love.

Here are all the goodies wrapped and waiting to be opened.
And the card that accompanied it all.  (The pooches are knit - which is awesome!)
So Day 1...the Christmas Mouse!  I loved knitting mine (knitting this mouse was one of the requirements) and knew Squishy would hate parting with it.
So it was no surprise when he snatched up this one and claimed it as his.  As much as I'd love to set him on the shelf with my other knit friends, watching Squishy enjoy him and play with the mouse is just a great!
Come back soon for Day 2!

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh, Rae Lynne. You are such a talented sewer besides knitter. That Advent Calendar is so sweet and what fun for any child or adult.
    X has grown! No more baby in that face of his; all toddler!

    ReplyDelete