Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I-Spy With My Own Eye

A little while ago I decided to deviate from the norm and participate in a new kind of swap (who can resist when you can exchange so many fun things!).  This time, it's a fabric swap.  My friend, Melissa, at Knitting a Baby told me about this one. You can see more about the swap HERE at Obsessively Stitching.

The rules are pretty simple.  Cut and swap 200 4" squares of fabric.  Wow, that sounds daunting, doesn't it?  It's not really, if you think about how small a 4" square is.  And okay, maybe I simplified the rules just a tiny bit. 

The requirementss:
1. Cut 20 4" squares out of each of 10 different novelty print fabrics. A 1/4 yard or fat quarter should easily get 20 squares.  Unless you're like me, and you choose larger objects to "spy."  Then it takes more yardage because you have to think about picture placement.  No one wants a picture of a panda's rear-end to spy. :)  (Picture must fit in 3 1/2" square)
2. Pick fun fabrics that aren't your run-of-the mill patterns.  No licensed prints. 
3. Mail out to be received by June 4th, get different squares back from swap! 

I've got about half of my squares cut.   I need to go back for more fabric since a few of my prints I was unable to get 20 squares.  I'm hoping to get that done tonight so I can have the squares mailed out by the end of the week.

Now, in case you haven't figured it out yet, the point of these fabric squares is to have a whole bunch of pictures of different objects.  Then you can play "I-Spy."  I understand this sounds like something more for kids, but it could be entertaining for adults as well. :)

Once I get my swap package full of fun I-Spy squares, I plan to make a Disappearing 9-Patch Quilt for X with it.  (There is a great tutorial HERE.) He's at the age where he points at EVERYTHING and wants you to name it.  And he's really beginning to mimic words.  Right now his favorite word and object to point at is a star.  Any star, anywhere.  He'll find it and show it to you.  And since his bedroom is covered in stars, we have a lot of fun in there pointing them all out.  Other words right now include: mamma, dada, juice, dog/Jax, binky (or at least his version of binky), more and star.  What better practice for him to learn the names of things than an I-Spy quilt.  Made for him with love by Mommy. :)

In the meantime- I've been working on my Reading Mitts (pattern is Susie's Reading Mitts).  I finished the first one quickly and I'm about half-way through the second.  I've decided that although I'll enjoy the finished results, it bothers me when I have 2 of something.  It's irrational sometimes - like when knitting fingerless gloves or socks or something - I guess after the first one is finished I feel like both should magically be done!  This won't keep me from choosing projects such as gloves or toys w/ several of the same thing - I just noticed last night that I was haboring a bit of resentment against the second mitt since it wasn't finished!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun package to receive! I however, can not cut fabric straight to save my life lol.

    ReplyDelete