Monday, April 16, 2012

Dishcloth Mania

Recently I’ve completed several crocheted (and one knit) dishcloth.  Nothing super fancy – mostly functional. 

This first set was originally intended for someone else.  Over the course of a couple days I knocked out a set of four.  They now live in my kitchen drawer (in case you weren’t aware, you can never have enough knit or crocheted dishcloths…)
I didn’t use much of a pattern.  If you’re looking for one though, here’s a standard Granny Square dishcloth pattern.  Mine are a 4-chain ring into which I double-crocheted 4 times.  On each row, I chained one between side dcs (double crochets), and at the corners I chained two between the corner dcs.  This creates a cleaner corner, in my opinion.  I crocheted 7 rounds total.  (Please forgive my inadequate explanation of my crocheting – I’m a noob when it comes to crochet and only have the most basic understanding of how it all works!!)

The yarn is Pisgah Yarn and Dying Company, Incorporated, 100% Cotton in Pageantry.  This cone was on super-sale at Walmart (a place I so rarely frequent…) so I snatched it up quick.  I’ve got a lot of cotton left for many more dishcloths – crocheted or otherwise.

I also crocheted 2 dishcloths (using the same pattern as above) and knit one dishcloth using the Garter Stitch Dishcloth pattern.  This yarn is Lion Brand Lion Cotton Solid in Natural.  I loved using this cotton.  I don’t dislike Lily Sugar ‘N’ Cream or the Pisgah Yarn, but this was so soft and supple compared to what I usually use.  Perhaps because it was undyed?  My hands are usually really sore by the time I’ve finished knitting, I can’t wait to put it down.  But I could knit with this all day.  The 3 dishcloths didn’t even use up a full skein of yarn, which is awesome.  I purchased 2 balls of it at JoAnns, and you can bet I’ll be using it for more cloths in the future!

These last 3 dishcloths were for Mr. Man’s cousin and her fiancé.  They are getting married this June and so I made them for the bridal shower.  Mr. Man’s grandma knit us some dishcloths back when we were married and they quickly became some of my favorite cloths to use.  

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Do you mean what's my main use of dishcloths? I use them for wiping down counters and cleaning little hands. And when the dishwasher is full, I use them as washcloths for the dishes washed by hand.

      Do you use dishcloths in a different way?

      Delete
  2. These are lovely Rae Lynne!! We use our dishcloths all the time too, so I agree, one can never have too many :)

    ReplyDelete