Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cabled Strap Covers

With about 6 WIPs this month, and 7 FOs I haven't yet shared with you, it's easy to see that I've been knitting.  Am I committed?...Just a titch, but never fear...sometimes that's when my best work appears! :) (It's mostly all self-imposed anyway.)

My WIPs includ 3 shawls, 1 cowl, a hat and 1 pair of mitts.  Also on that list are a few swap items.  My knitting itinerary through October is chok full. :)

Today I'm sharing something that was quick and gratifying and just what I needed at the time.

I knit Lovebug a set of Cabled Strap Covers, by Melissa Schaschwary, for her carseat.  The poor dear had red marks from her straps all the time.  She's already constantly miserable in her seat and I though this would grant her a bit more comfort.

The patterns calls for bulky weight, which I don't really keep much of in the stash.  So instead I doubled up on Caron Simply Soft Brites in the Watermelon colorway.  Knit on US 10.5/6.5mm needles, these took just a matter of hours.

The cables are sweet and are surprisingly crisp in this hot pink yarn.  Don't stare for too long, you may burn your eyes!  My camera had a really hard time capturing this color.

The pattern uses bobbles and buttonholes to attach the covers to the straps but I've found this ineffective.  There is a certain amount of wiggling and fussing we go through before Little Miss is secured.  And it's inevitable that each time she's strapped in, I'm reattaching the covers.  This gets old, fast. So I will be searching for some larger, flat buttons that can withstand the push and pull and friction the straps get, while still laying flat against Lovebug's shoulders.

This problem isn't really surprising and I almost didn't knit the bobbles, thinking I"d just have to replace them later.  Save yourself some time if you plan on making these...you'll want the buttons!  (or snaps or velcro, or whatever!)  Aside from that, the pattern was wonderfully written.  Clear and concise, and a really smart solution to a problem that obviously is not unique to our household.
I've even been scheming on how I could make other covers with different patterns.  I just need to get out my stitch dictionaries and do a little math. :)

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh, what a clever idea! Even my girls need a bigger version of one when they fall asleep in the car. I could use bulky yarn or something and buttons.
    Look how big your baby princess has grown. She is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is growing up...a little too fast for me atm. :)

      I bought buttons last night to fix the covers and I'll attach them tonight. I love how soft these are on her neck, much better than the strap rubbing against her skin. :)

      Delete