Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Booties

After shopping for Christmas clothes for the kids, I had this brilliant idea that I would knit Lovebug a pair of booties to match her Christmas dress (not the Little Sister’s Dress I knit, she wore that on Christmas Day – although I did have that in mind when picking the pattern.)  She’d be wearing tights and would need something to keep her tootsies warm.

I picked out the pattern a couple days before Christmas Eve Day (needed them for the Candlelight Service) and got to work.  They worked up very quickly, each being completed in a matter of hours.  And they were soo cute!.....

…..I have come to learn that my daughter has very long, narrow feet that don’t really fill booties out very well.  My button/strap placement was not the best and unfortunately they just kept falling off her feet.  They have since been fixed and stay on her feet much better, but she wasn’t really able to wear them for Christmas. 

The pattern is Rosy Baby Booties by Julia Noskova (you can find my version on my project page).  This woman has loads of bootie patterns that I’m dying to try.  I would knit them all.  Anyway – I love her patterns and I loved this pattern.  I think normally, these booties would fit baby feet really well.  And the size I chose was 0-6 months, so she’ll be able to wear them for a little while.  I’ve not knit many booties and I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t turn out.  But they did!  And they looked just like the designer’s pictures. (That’s the best, when that happens.)

About the pattern – instructions were very easy to follow.  I never felt confused about where the pattern was headed.  It was clearly written, a beginner could easily make these.  I wish there were 0-3 and 3-6 month sizing instead of 0-6 months.  I probably could have figured out the mods myself but didn’t have time since Christmas was so close.  For the patterns that are more like boots and less like shoes, I don’t think it’s as big of an issue.
I used Ella Rae Milky Soft in Red (dk weight) and Knit Picks Comfy Sport (sport weight obviously) in Whisker as called for in the pattern.  The gray strap and edging was to match Lovebug’s Christmas dress.  The booties are knit flat and then seamed together.  Although I really dislike seaming, I found this pretty easy and my seaming was decent enough. 
I already have a couple other patterns picked out to try next.  Baby feet grow so fast and instead of spending a lot of money on shoes bought in stores, I figured a couple hours and some stash yarn every now and then was a lot cheaper!

1 comment: