Wednesday, October 5, 2011

WIP Wednesday 10/5

Did you see the things I finished last week?  It's nice to have something completed.  For awhile, I felt like I was knitting and knitting and knitting and had nothing to show.  And now it seems I'm on a roll.

This week I'm actually sharing a few pictures.  I prefer posts with pictures, why wouldn't other people?

While I scramble to finish some things for the Elephant Swap, my personal projects are on hold. Sort of.

The Baby Chalice Blanket has seen no love since last week.  So close to finished, but not yet.  See how big it's gotten?  This will block out to a beautiful size.
Elefante has no photos because...well...for one, she was meant to be a surprise.  But mostly because I haven't had to time to take any.  She's made progress.  There are poly pellets in her feet and belly, so she's feeling a little more grounded...her head is still just filled with fluff and up in the clouds...  But the real reason is because I had to put her on hold.  While sewing up the body the other night I realized I was sadly mistaken if I thought I could make this sweet little lady to my swap partner.  More details to be revealed in a later post as I don't want to give away who my swap partner is...but let's just say I was really bummed.

On the up side...I've started another Elefante (Take 2).  His name is Lollipop.  He is much different than his friend, cheery and a bit cheeky.  His body is near complete (I did that part first to see if the yarn would play well together) and I'm ready to jump in and work up the legs and head/trunk.  The ears will be saved for last.  I love him already and will have a hard time parting with him.  I just hope my swap partner finds him as wonderful as I do.

Then there are these mitts... The pattern is Ashbury Mitts and they are from the Interweave Knits Holiday 2011 issue.  I fell in love with them as soon as I saw the cover of the magazine.  The sample shown in the magazine is a yak/bamboo blend.  They look a bit more structured than mine.  My yarn is a silk/wool/bamboo blend.  I've got one whole mitt finished.  These came out smaller than the pattern says.  Turns out my gauge was off - instead of 6.5 stitches per inch, it was 7.5 stitches per inch.  So a little shorter and a bit more snug than expected.  But I love them so much!
These I knit for me.  Not because I wanted to keep the mitts, but because I was dying to knit the pattern.  See?  Process knitter.  In the end, I believe these will be gifted.  (Hence the "sort of" putting my own stuff on hold.)  These are incredibly soft and cozy.

Finally, I'm planning to start and complete a pair of Oak Grove mitts by Alana Dakos.  I had some yarn picked out, but after knitting the Ashbury MItts I think I will use the same yarn.  I plan to go up a needle size.  I've been hearing they run a tad small and I have big palms and long fingers.  But that's the beauty of knitting them myself.  I can made any modifications I need in order to make them just right.

There has been sewing in our house.  Can't say what.  Just that it's happening.  It's been hard lately to drag myself away from the couch (naps!) or my knitting, so the machine has been a tad lonely.  I always forget how much I enjoy it until I get back to my sewing corner.

So that's all for now.  Did I have enough to share this week?  What have you got planned for the next week or two?

0 comments:

Post a Comment